Thursday, January 25, 2007

In one of Dr. Kapp's most recent blogs he wrote "I think the future of e-learning revolves, in a large way, around the use of 3D worlds and avatars". With the creation of second life, this idea of the avatar has really take flight. It has become such a hot item that the BBC is getting ready to launch a virtual world called "CBBC World".

The CBBC World is designed to give children between the ages of 7-12 their first insights into the virtual realm. Like Second Life, CBBC World allows you to create your very own avatar and lets you create and share content with all your virtual buddies. CBBC World will not incorporate a financial aspect, like Second Life. It will also emphasize safety and responsibility by not allowing chat rooms.

The arguments are building regarding the importance of the virtual worlds. http://www.getafirstlife.com is a website that is opposing the insurgence of programs such as Second Life. Currently I have no virtual world experience so therefore my opinion has not been made yet regarding the importance of the worlds. With the rising popularity of Second Life and the creation of CBBC world, I may need to find out what the commotion is about.

I let my music take me where my heart wants to go
JK

No comments: